4.10.2013

Spider Whisperer.

I was boasting a bit today about my spider killing abilities to my Mom. I told her how good I am at catching them on the first try, and how I am never afraid.

While she was here, the boys and I captured a big black fuzzy jumping spider in a glass jam jar. We weren't going to kill this guy (I only do that if I find them in my house...usually.) We wanted to watch it for a while and feed it bugs. The boys were so excited, it was the first big jumping spider of the season.

Peeking under the first rock, they found a handful of rolie polies. I unscrewed the jar lid carefully so as not to let the spider out, and the boys quickly dropped their handful of creatures in the jar. Just then, I caught a glimpse of the big black fuzzy spider climbing out of the jar on onto someones finger! I think it was Oscar's finger, but it all happened so fast I can't quite remember.

 In a flash, I chucked the glass jar full of bugs with mighty force onto the driveway as I shrieked like a tiny bat. The jar crashed into pieces as it hit the concrete, and the spider was no where to be found. Immediately I began to laugh in embarrassment at my foolishness and haste. The boys however, were not laughing. They both began to sob. Oh how they cried and yelled for their jumping spider! Oscar was particularly angry with me and my ridiculous reaction, Angus was clearly afraid and saddened. I think my Mom was a little shocked at how the whole incident unfolded. Their reactions of course, just made it harder for me to try and hide my nervous laughter as I tried to comfort them in some ineffective way.

Quickly my Mom got them a new jar and they filled it with a few more bugs. I swept up the shards of glass on the driveway and had a discussion with myself about trying to be being a tad bit less boastful about things in the future. Especially about my "spider whisperer" abilities.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...