8.29.2013

Tales of Today

-Today this Mom got teary eyed as she watched her big first grader walk across the blacktop after his second day of school. Up until this afternoon, no tears have been shed in the back to school dramatics (surprising). But today while we waited  for him in the school yard after his first full day, I had to fight back the tears. I feel whole and content when all of my chickens are at home with me. When they are away, little pieces of me are missing until they return. Some things never get easier, and I imagine letting your children grow and head out into the world is one of those things. At least I am certain it is for me. I know when I am 90 years old and my kids are happily living their adult lives, a pieces of me will always be with them. I guess I will just have to get comfortable with having pieces of my heart, of myself, out walking around without me. I don't mean to sound melodramatic. But honestly, there can be such opposition in the heart of a Mother. You want so much for your children to grow, to be confident, independent and happy. But in that same space of your heart, you want them to be young, you want them to need you, and you want them to be tucked safely under your wings indefinitely. Such is the plight, and the blessing, of the Mother.

-Today this sister read some happy and reassuring letters from one of her funny brothers who is in the MTC. It is so good to know he is doing well, and so fun to see his sense of humor and personality come through the words he writes. Love him dearly.

-Today two brothers, so happy to be reunited after a school day apart (but without saying that in so many words) climbed tree's together, had crab apple wars together, giggled together, and had bathwater spitting fights together. They are each-others best friend, whether they realized it yet or not. I do, and will always, remind them of how lucky they are to have one another. Ulysses joined in the brotherly camaraderie as much as his 10 month old self could, he scratched at the tree trunk while his big brothers climbed, he bit and sucked juice from the fallen crab apples, he let out a loud guffaw every time his brothers laughed together, and got sprayed by their bathwater spit-fight in the tub. They are three lucky, happy brothers.

-Tonight a sister joined us for dinner, and a warm summer evening in the front yard. We are so glad she did, we fed her protein, greens, and rice. Topped her off with plenty of chocolate, and sent with her lots of wishes that she will be able to meet the challenges she faces effectively. (Being a teacher is a tough job! Be kind and supportive to them!)

-Tonight this Mom told her two older sons a bedtime story that has been bumping around her head for years. It was a rough and choppy telling of the tale of 'Witch Nana Peel', but they laughed hearty belly laughs, begged for more, and proclaimed it the best bedtime story so far! Despite its sorry amateur state.

-Tonight a seven year old could not sleep. So even though the hour was much too late,  he joined me at the kitchen table. He with his journal and I with mine. He drew, and I wrote. Then I kissed him again and sent him off to bed.

-Tonight a Dad is still at work, we miss him, we love him, and we are grateful for him.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...